Affectionately called Ammu, Puratchi Thalaivi
Profession Actor turned Politician
Date of birth Feb-24-1948
Place of birth Mysore
Family Father -Jeyaram
* Bishop cotton Girls High School, Bangalore.
* Presentation Convent Church Park, Chennai.
As a dancer Well versed in Bharata Natyam, Mohini Attam, Kathak,Manipuri.
Would have been Lawyer
Debut * Kannada film:’ chinnada Gombe’
* Telugu film:’ Manushulu Mamathalu’
* Tamil film :’vennira aadai ‘
* With MGR:”Aayirarhthil Oruvan”
* With Shivaji: ‘Galaata Kalyaanam’
Rise to fame character As a vampish lead in G. Krishna’s James Bond-type hit Goodachari 116 she was noticed by everyone..
Entry into politics First as the Secretary of the AIADMK, then was nominated to the Rajya Sabha.
Awards * 1972- Kalaimamani award from the government of Tamilnadu.
* 1991- Was conferred the Degree of Doctor of Literature(D.Litt) by the University of Madras.
* 1992- Dr MGR Medical University conferred the degree of Doctor of Science.
* 1993-Madurai Kamaraj University conferred the degree of Doctor of Letters.
* 2003-Tamil Nadu Agricultural University conferred the degree of Doctor of Science.
* 2003-Bharathidasan University conferred the degree of Doctor of Letters (Honoris Causa)
Influential persons in her life * Mother Celine(school head mistress)
* Her mother for her career in films.
* Dr. M.G.R for her career in politics.
Worst Moment When she was attacked in the Tamil Nadu Assembly by then ruling party people.
* In 1982 when she gave her maiden speech about ‘pennin perumai’ which was applauded by Dr. M.G.R
*In 1984 her Rajya sabha maiden speech which impressed Mrs.Indira Gandhi
Lows The passing away of her mother and Dr.M.G.R.
For the welfare of women * Cradle baby scheme.
* All women police station.
Enemy Mr. Karunanidhi
Special interst Studying Law
Religion Very religious
Hobbies Has a large private library with a huge collection of books
Likes to watch Old tamil, hindi and english movies
Impressed by the book “Wild Swans”
Facts * After completion of Matriculation in 1964, she won a scholarship from Government of India for higher studies but did not accept it as she took up a career in films.
* Played ‘herself’ as a politician/chief minister in the movie ‘Neenga Nalla Erukkanum’
* Jayalalitha’s assets were worth Rs 2.01 crore, after five years in power, her assets were calculated to be disproportionate by Rs 66.65.
* Out of the 468 gold items seized during the raid, the ‘ottiyanam’, weighing 1,044 gms with 2,389 diamond, emerald and ruby stones, and engraved with a dancing peacock in the middle alone was worth Rs 46.79 lakhs.
* The first Woman Leader of the Opposition in the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly.
* She was elected from Andipatti Assembly constituency in February 2002 to become the Chief Minister of Tamilnadu.
Chief Minister * from 24-06-1991 to 12-05-1996,
* from 14-05-2001 to 21-09-2001and
* from 02-03-2002 to -12-05-2006
Portfolio’s handled by her as C.M. Public, General Administration, Indian Administrative Service, Indian Police Service, other All India Services, District Revenue Officers, Home, Police and Minorities Welfare.
Address “Veda Nilayam”, 81/36 Poes Garden, Chennai – 600 086.
About her life “One-third of my life was dominated by my mother, the other part — a major one — was dominated by MGR. Two-third of my life is thus over. One third remains and this part of my life remains for myself but there are some responsibilities and duties to be fulfilled”.